Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Should Be Renamed Brunchday



On a busy street in Watertown, you can find The Red Lentil by looking for their green awning with the orange logo.  I overshot it by about a mile my first time, but after eating there, I’ve never made that mistake again.  Now there’s a homing beacon in my head that starts pinging if I’m within a four-mile radius of this place, urging me to go and sate my hunger for all things veg and yummy.  Inside is surprisingly spacious for a tiny restaurant and seating is ample, though it does fill up fast.  Simply decorated in wood and exposed brick, the morning sun streaming through the front windows lit the place up, adding to the warm and inviting air as my dad and I sat down for brunch.  

This was the third time I’ve eaten at The Red Lentil, and the second time I’ve ordered their vegan gluten-free pancakes.  If I have any say in the matter, my heaven will be built out of these pancakes.  Made with a savory blend of sweet potato and dates, topped with a juicy fruit compote, thinking of them makes my mouth water even though my stomach is still full from eating them.  A stack of two cakes, each bigger than my head (I have an average-sized head if anyone is wondering), they are light and fluffy on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside from the frying oil.  They are served with orange slices and maple syrup.  I like to squeeze the oranges over the cakes, then pour the maple syrup, then shovel in my mouth.  Trust me on this one: do not order a side! I found that out the hard way my first time when I ordered them with a side of home fries (btw: yes, so good).  Halfway through the meal, my eyes were tearing up from my stretched and stuffed stomach, but I ignored the niggling whisper of fear that my stomach might actually explode.  It was all too good not to eat!  I cleaned my plate, but couldn’t make any sudden or large movements the rest of the day.  This time, I admit I did disappoint myself by not being able to finish them in one sitting.  Thankfully for my pride, the wait staff didn’t laugh at our request for a to-go box, even though my leftovers were only enough for maybe two bites.  I was not about to waste a morsel of these babies!



My dad ordered the vegan waffles, which were covered in chucks of vibrant fresh fruit and vegan whipped cream.  A little smaller than my mammoth plate of goodies, the waffles were equally fluffy and delish.  My dad (a non veg) gave his hearty approval by saying, "I can see why this place fills up.  It's not just because of the vegetarian menu!"  Hmmm...do I smell a potential convert?!



We washed down our breakfasts with a couple smoothies.  I had the Tropical Blend smoothie, the only one made without banana (ick, not a fan of banana!).  It was bright and refreshing, the perfect partner to my savory pancakes.



At times like these, I wish I had a particular deformity so I could say “Three thumbs up!”  Unfortunately, I can’t, but you know what I mean.  Go to The Red Lentil.  Stuff your face.  Street parking is widely available out front on weekends.  Weekdays, it’s a little more packed, but you can find something if you don’t mind walking a block or two.  The walk might actually be beneficial if you’re planning on ordering the pancakes!


1 comment:

  1. Stacey - Thanks for introducing me to the Red Lentil. That was a great flavorful way to start a sunny Sunday. You can certainly borrow my thumbs since you lack the deformity to give it the "Three thumbs up".

    -Stacey's Dad

    ReplyDelete